Thursday, June 26, 2008

Experiments: Vietnamese Cuisine

Have you ever tried Vietnamese food? I certainly haven't, well, until this afternoon and it was an experience that I will never forget! I was a bit hesitant when my mom told me that we were going to have a late lunch at a Vietnamese restaurant in Chinatown. I wasn't too happy about it. In my mind, I was thinking that the food would be really weird and not to my taste. I was WRONG!
It was the best Vietnamese food that I ever tasted! I was hesitant however, to taste the soup (they call it Pho) so I picked something in the menu that really sounded okay. Their menu had Vietnamese names with English translation below it. I ordered #66 Pork Chops with Beef Strips and Rice. My mom and her friend both ordered #5 Pho (soup something or other...I forgot). We also ordered Imperial Rolls (they are like lumpia and taste similar to lumpia, too).


They were all uber yummy! I also tried the Pho and it was not at all what I expected. The soup was yummy with a minty taste which really surprised me a lot. When I tried their Imperial Rolls, I wrapped them with green lettuce and dipped in their special dipping sauce with carrots. Ummmm yummy! I never thought I would love veggies this much! We should try eating lumpia wrapped in lettuce sometime!
I am all for tasting foods from different cultures. I admit, Vietnamese food really had an Asian flair to it and is quite different from Chinese food which we are all familiar with. I still can't wait to try other yummy foods from different cultures.


Pho 87 Restaurant
1019 N Broadway
Los Angeles, CA 90012-1405
Phone: (323) 227-0758
Open Daily 8am-9pm