Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Trips: Palm Springs Aerial Tramway

Labor Day weekend was an experience for me: I got to ride on an Aerial Tram! Well, this wasn't my first because I went on one back in '97 when we went to Hong Kong. No matter, I enjoyed the trip immensely! Not only did I experience something new, I took loads of photos!

So, where did we go? We went to the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway in Palm Springs, California. We took the eight-and-a-half-minute ride up North America's sheerest mountain face passes to the mountain station at 8516 feet (2600 m) above mean sea level. Isn't that cool? Even with the zero visibility near the top of San Jacinto Peak, I wasn't fazed. The whole tram trip was an experience in itself because we had a 360 degree view of the whole valley! According to Mr. Wiki, "The Palm Springs Aerial Tramway in Palm Springs, California, opened in September 1963 as a way of getting from the floor of the Coachella Valley to near the top of San Jacinto Peak.

At the top, we where welcomed by a breathtaking scene that was absolutely perfect!

On our way to the Valley Station

The Aerial Tram

View from the top

Posing for a few shots

Along the trail, I managed to capture shots of wildlife; my first shots actually, and they turned out great! I saw a few bees hopping from flower to flower gathering honey and caught them in action! Amazing! They didn't even mind the whir and click of the camera!


This crazy little guy, they said it's a gecko, was seen scrambling about the rocks off the trail and I hopped on over and snapped away! I know he looks like part of the rock but I think I captured him in his element.

I'll be posting more shots in the future. I don't want to waste them all in one post now, can I? Enjoy!







Location: Palm Springs Aerial Tramway, Palm Springs, California (2 hour drive from Los Angeles)

Hours of Operation:
Cars depart at least every half hour with the first car up Monday-Friday at 10am; first car up weekends and holiday periods at 8am.

Tram Prices:
Adults: $22.25
Children: $15.25 (3-12)
Seniors: $20.25 (60+)
*Children under 3 years old are free but require a boarding pass

Info: Wikipedia & Palm Spring Aerial Tramway Website