Saturday, October 25, 2008

Films: High School Musical 3

As seniors in high school ,Troy (Zac Efron) and Gabriella (Vanessa Hudgens) struggle with the idea of being separated from one another as college approaches. Along with the rest of the Wildcats, they stage a spring musical to address their experiences, hopes and fears about their future.


I saw High School Musical a few hours ago and I've got to tell you, it's the best HSM ever. I'm not going to go ahead and spoil the movie for you and I am not going to give a summary of the film at all. I'll just give you a few things that I noted.

Of course, it is apparent that this HSM had a bigger budget than the previous ones.
For one, their musical scenes were more elaborate than before and their costumes where amazing. HSM 2 also had pretty costumes but this one beats the rest. As for music and choreography, I thought this HSM had more songs and gave the other characters the opportunity to strut their stuff.

The storyline was okay but it wasn't really that amazing. There weren't any tearjerker moments for me but in spite of that, I enjoyed it immensely. The movie started with the last game of the season with he Wildcats on the verge of losing the game. Naturally, they bounced back and won the championships. Oh and before I forget, this time there was a High School Musical! I didn't expect this twist in the story, though.

HSM 3 did have a few rather intimate [but not that intimate] moments with Garbriella and Troy and I thought their romance had developed into a more serious one. I understand that the romantic tones of the movie were kept at a minimum because a lot of younger kids would be watching it. However, I still thought their moments together were really sweet.

The movie also added a few characters to the mix like Sharpay's new PA [I didn't catch her name] who turned out to be the villain (?) of the whole show. I guess HSM always wanted Sharpay to be the good/bad villain. Personally, I liked her new PA's accent. Quite an interesting touch to it.

The highlight of the movie was perhaps the scene on the roof. If we revisit the first High School Musical, you could connect their "roof" interlude to their romantic dance on the roof. I thought it was the best part and I loved the song Can I have this Dance? It's even better than Breaking Free! Well, at least I thought so.

I thought the movie ended giving us all a hint that this would indeed be the last HSM movie that will have all the original characters. There have been rumors about an HSM 4 but I think HSM College Years would sound crazy. Really.

I'm leaving you with a video clip of their dance in the roof. Seriously, I thought the rain added a little sizzle to it! Enjoy!



I give it four out of five stars.







Images: Google Images
Info: IMDb