Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Trips: The Getty Center

The Getty Center in Los Angeles, California, is the current home of part of the J. Paul Getty Museum; The Getty Villa is in Malibu. The museum's permanent collection includes "pre-20th-century European paintings, drawings, illuminated manuscripts, sculpture, and decorative arts; and 19th- and 20th-century American and European photographs" The Center opened on December 16, 1997, with Richard Meier as the architect.
Getty Center
The 134,000-square-foot (12,400 m2) Central Garden at the Getty Center is the work of artist Robert Irwin[18]. Planning for the garden began in 1992, construction started in 1996, and the garden was completed in December 1997.
Getty CenterGetty CenterThe Central Garden
The Central Garden
I was at the Getty Center last Saturday because we had to meet there for my photography class. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to visit the other collections of J. Paul Getty (he has Vincent Van Gogh's painting Irises). I did see the photography exhibit of the renowned photographer Carleton Watkins in the first floor gallery, with photos from the late 1800s to the early 1900s. The Center has a permanent exhibit and a Changing Exhibit of the different collections.

Most of our time was spent at the Central Garden where we where "let lose" to take photographs to show on our class in Tuesday. I had many opportunities for macro shots but I could only do as much since I didn't have a macro lens yet but hopefully, I will (crossing my fingers).
DaisyDaisyPink DaisyGetty CenterGrasshopper at the Getty
Entrance to The Getty Center is free but parking is $10 per car. Of course, you can always opt to go via the Metro Rapid Line 761, which stops at the main gate on Sepulveda Boulevard.

I give my abbreviated trip four stars. I will definitely visit the Center again!

For more photos visit my Flickr collection HERE.

Location
The Getty Center
1200 Getty Center Drive in Los Angeles, California
Hours
Tuesday–Friday 10:00 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
Saturday 10:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m.
Sunday 10:00 a.m.–5:30 p.m.

Info: Wikipedia.org, Getty.edu