Monday, August 25, 2008

When SAHM-one Speaks: Ideal Age to Get Married

"When you were younger, did you set an ideal age to marry?"

I always recall the first scene in the movie "The Wedding Planner" when I think about getting married. I don't know what but it has been innate in our culture that women have to get married. As a child, I never really thought about getting married. Sure, we played house and I played with my Barbie and Ken dolls a lot but it never really seemed to sink in.

As I got older, I learned that it is ideal for a woman to get married during her child-bearing years to decrease the chances of congenital disorders that come with an older woman. In my mind, I thought that getting married between the ages 24-28 were ideal.

When reality came knocking at my door, all my thoughts flew out the window! When it came down to it, I said "yes" when I was 23 and said "I do" a few weeks before my 24th birthday. I guess that still counts as 24, right?

I know my parents were thinking that I would be done with school and be working by the time I would even utter the word marriage to them, but they where wrong. We finally told them in August that we were planning to get married. The month of August was still the first semester of our school year. Yes, I was still in school. Aw, don't raise your eyebrows at me! I wasn't pregnant and I was delayed for three years which explains why I was still in school. I can't go deeper and explain why I was delayed, only that I didn't fail any subject.







When SAHM-one Speaks is a weekly Meme by Mitch.
Want to read other entries? Click here.